Sunday, January 22, 2006

Networking and Establishing Professional Relationships

Networking and Establishing Professional Relationships

Getting your feet wet in the writing world? A great move toward success is to make and maintain as many contacts as you can handle. All that stuff they told you in school about networking being the key to life--well, it’s the truth!

After I started my new job as a news editor about a year and a half ago (I've since left to be fulltime freelance), one of my freelance editors shot me a quick e-mail. “...Kate ­ you still alive? This new job killin' you? Let me know you're ok or I'll send out a Search & Rescue team....” I have written for his paper for between two and three years now and we have established quite a rapport. That touching little note meant so much and truly made me realize how valuable these contacts can be. We're supposed to get together for lunch one of these days, but both have such busy, busy lives. I'm sure it will work out sooner or later - but the point is, keep in touch with your contacts, even if you aren't actively completing an assignment!

  1. Make and maintain contacts – exchange business cards if possible.

  2. Touch base every so often, even without a motivator.

  3. Keep things professional: Tell as much as you need to without getting into your life’s history. You’re going on vacation to the Bahamas, fine. It’s your fifth honeymoon and you left the kids to fend for themselves… maybe not such a good idea!

  4. Have FUN! Be friendly and productive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home