Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Make Yourself More Marketable - A Networking Tip Every Writer Should Know!

Learning life's lessons on a daily basis whether by choice or by lack thereof, I am convinced that while we may be very good at what we do, we can always become better.

Anyone who desires a career as a freelance writer must know the ins and outs of networking... and just how valuable knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone else can be!

At least a year ago, I decided that I needed to network with people on the fly. The best way to do that is by ha nding out business cards! I looked into "vistaprint" (
www.vistaprint.com) and I think they have some pretty nice designs for free, payment only necessary for the cost of shipping!

I designed my business cards on a serene blue ocean-type background with white text. I customized them to contain my phone number, email address, mailing address, website and various other tidbits. Hey if you go through the trouble of making them, you might as well add your blog and such! I believe I actually only spent about $5.50 on these business cards...and I've definitely generated well over a thousand dollars from them!

My own thoughts on the value of business cards:

1. Having business cards makes you more credible in the profession in which you claim to work.

2. They serve as an easy self-marketing tool and enough can't be said about them for networking potential!

3. They are handy to give out to friends and family for easy on-hand access to your contact information! Hey, maybe your friend or your cousin will pass you on to their friend who is in need of a writer!

4. They fit well in Christmas cards and Valentines when you're just touching base with the family or your friends, and they save you the explanation of how you think you're going to make it as a writer--by the looks of your business cards, you already have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home